Prefacetnt Biden’s Power secretary met with oil executives on Thursday As a Outcome of the administration faces strain to tamp down sky-extreme gasoline prices. In the meantime, the Fish and Wildlife Service has reinsaid pre-Trump enhazarded species shieldions.
That is In a single day Power & Environment, your supply for The latest information focused on energy, the environment and past. For The Hill, we’re Rachel Frazin and Zack Budryk. Subscribe right here.
Power Dept. says oil meeting was ‘productive’
Oil executives and enterprise teams said a Thursday meeting with Power Secretary Jennifer Granholm was “constructive.”
- “Right now’s meeting was a constructive dialog about addressing each shut to-time period factors and the longer-time period stcapability of energy markets,” said Mike Wirth, CEO and chairman of Chevron, in A press launch.
- “We stay optimistic about our capability to work collectively To understand these shared goals. We respect Secretary Granholm’s invitation to take part Inside the dialog, which was An important step towrestleds attaining greater energy safety, financial prosperity, and environmental shieldion,” he added.
The American Petroleum Institute and the American Fuel & Petrochemical Producers, which respectively recurrent the oil enterprise broadly and oil refiners particularly, issued An identical sentiment.
“Secretary Granholm’s meeting with American refiners today was a constructive dialogue about methods To deal with rising energy prices and create extra certainty for worldwide energy markets,” the organizations said in a joint assertion.
An Power Division readout of the meeting likewise described it as “productive.”
“The meeting took a productive Confacetr dissecting The current worldwide factors of current and refining, producing An alternative for enterprise to work with authorities To assist destayr needed aid to American shopper” the department said.
Relationship standing — it’s difficult: The constructive feedagain from Every facet come amid a interval of rigidity between the Biden administration and oil corporations. In a current letter To grease refiners, Biden criticized their extreme income.
- “At a time of wrestle, refinery revenue margins properly above regular being handed immediately onto American housemaintains Aren’t acceptable,” he wrote Inside the letter.
- And forward of the meeting, Wirth wrote a letter to Biden criticizing what he described as makes an try to “vilify” the oil enterprise.
- “However these efforts, your Administration has largely sought to criticize, and at events vilify, our enterprise. These movements Aren’t useful To fulfilling the challenges we face And are not what the American people deserve,” he wrote on Tuesday.
The deets: Granholm was scheduled To fulfill Thursday with executives from ExxonMobil, Shell, Valero, Marathon, Phillips 66, BP and Chevron.
Based mostly on the Power Division readout, individuals talked about what The corporations are doing To take care of current opperiodtions and hurdles in growing home refining, By which oil is made into gasolineoline.
Study extra Regarding the meeting right here.
Biden administration reinstates habitat shieldions
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) and the Nationwide Marine Fisheries Service on Thursday introduced A mannequin new rule reversing a Trump-period definition of “habitat” as utilized to enhazarded animals.
Beneath the 2020 rule, the definition of fedperiodlly-shielded habitats for enhazarded species was narrowed to solely these wright here a species might presently stay, excluding People who might sometime maintain a species. On Thursday, FWS reversed this, saying it contravened the intent of the 1973 Finishangered Species Act (ESA).
- When it narrowed the definition, the Trump administration argued that its modifications Can be extra fixed and clear for landowners.
- However environmentalists said that The fedperiodl authorities Ought to be In a place To shield land That would assist an animal Finally and described the Trump transfer as a “giveaway to enterprise.”
“The rising extinction disaster extremelights the significance of the Finishangered Species Act and efforts to protect species earlier than declines Discover your self to be irreversible,” Assistant Secretary for Fish and Wildlife and Parks Shannon Estenoz said in A press launch.
“Right now’s movement will convey implementation of the Act again into alignment with its unique objective and intent and ensures that species restoration is guided by clear science-based insurance covperiodge policies and conservation movements that protect America’s organic heritage for future genperiodtions.”
Study extra right here.
GET WIND OF THIS
The White House said Thursday that it was launching an offshore wind partnership with 11 East Coast states.
- The partnership will entail Construct up The …….